Vox Media networks Eater, New York Magazine, The Verge, Punch Gastropod, and The Verge Gastropod were honored today by the James Beard Foundation(r) with numerous Media Awards nominations which recognize journalism in the form of written and audio as well as video. Eater was awarded six nominations which included Mona Holmes for the Jonathan Gold Local Voice Award and Hannah Selinger for the MFK Fisher Distinguished Writing Award. New York and the Verge were also nominated for their co-production for”Revolt of the Delivery Workers, “Revolt of the Delivery Workers” September 13-26, 2021 issue’s the cover story. The winners will be announced at the Media Awards ceremony in Chicago on June 11.
The complete list of nominees to Vox Media is listed below.
- Feature Reporting, for ” Inside the Secretive, Semi-Illicit, High Stakes World of WhatsApp Mango Importing” by Ahmed Ali Akbar
- Foodways, for ” ‘We’re Reclaiming Beer Because It’s Ours’” by James Bennett II
- Foodways, for ” The American Dream in the Back of a Sunoco” by Trisha Gopal
- Jonathan Gold Local Voice Award, for ” Growing Up on Los Angeles’s Black Barbecue,” ” Downtown LA’s Once-Unstoppable Restaurant Scene Now Faces an Uncertain Future,” and ” Tonight’s Dinner Should Be Fried Chicken From an LA Grocery Store” by Mona Holmes
- MFK Fisher Distinguished Writing Award, for ” Life Was Not a Peach” by Hannah Selinger
- Visual Media, Short Form for the way that 60, 000 Metric Tons of Salt Are Obtained from one of the World’s Saltiest Lakes
- Audio Programming
New York Magazine and the Verge:
- Investigative Reporting, for ” Revolt of the Delivery Workers” by Josh Dzieza
- Personal Essay, Long Form, for ” It’s Time to Decolonize Wine” by Miguel de Leon
We’re also extremely pleased to honor Punch editor and founder Talia Baiocchi who was honored with a Restaurant and Professionals nomination for her book written with Missy Robbins. Pasta: the Art and Craft of Italy’s Greatest Food.